Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Default Old Game, Quicktime 2.1 not working

I'm running XP, and found an old game I used to play on my win95, 98 computers. When I install it, an error message pops up saying I need QuickTime 2.1. I downloaded that, got rid of any other quicktime on my computer, and tried to install it.. but it comes up with an error message mid-way and the installation shuts down. I've tried changing the compatibility settings to win95 on both programs, but I still can't make it work.

Any ideas?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sokcz View Post
    I'm running XP, and found an old game I used to play on my win95, 98 computers. When I install it, an error message pops up saying I need QuickTime 2.1. I downloaded that, got rid of any other quicktime on my computer, and tried to install it.. but it comes up with an error message mid-way and the installation shuts down. I've tried changing the compatibility settings to win95 on both programs, but I still can't make it work.

Any ideas?
    may just be that it will not run at all on xp,some software doesnt especially games.what is the error message you receive midway ? another thing i noticed was you changed the compatibility settings ? surely you need the game installed before you can do that ?
    simply me

Default Solution to Quicktime error on old games

After trying all the suggestions from other posts and web entries, all of which were blindingly unsuccessful, I finally tried the obvious solution and it worked.

I simply let the program install the Quicktime version from Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego and the program worked fine. It did not conflict with the Quicktime 7 I already had running, probably because the registration entries at the time of 2.X were considerably different. When I tried to run Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego there was still an issue because it needs a later version, so I let THAT Quicktime install. After that, I have so far been able to run both Carmens, "Quantum Gate", and "Who Killed Sam Rupert?", none of which would run before the install.

I initially avoided this solution because generally multiple versions of Quicktime (and lots of other software) conflict. Apparently these versions are far apart enough in time that there isn't an issue. Sometimes the simplest solution IS the best.

BTW, this was on a Vista 32 machine. I didn't have to use any of the compatibility settings to get the software to run.